On October 15 in Sofia, in the presence of many citizens and bishops of the Synod, Patriarch Neophyte and the Plovdiv Metropolitan Nikolay consecrated a new Orthodox Christian temple - The Exaltation of the Holy Cross. The temple is located in Lozenets quarter and is part of the Christian world in Sofia. The first Divine Liturgy in the consecrated temple started at 9 o’clock. Dozens of laymen queued to get a piece of the white clothes which clerics wear for such events. Traditionally, they are cut and handed over to the worshipers as a keepsake of the event.
A cross with a long history was placed near the church. In 1878 on the Ascension of Jesus, the residents of Sofia erected a cross to commemorate the Liberation of Bulgaria. This stone cross was declared a monument of culture and was kept in the Transfiguration of Jesus Church. On October 15, 2017 the cross was placed on the site where it was erected in 1878 - next to the altar of the newly built temple.